Wing Sung 3008 – Pen Review

A glorious New Pen Day! Here are my thoughts on Wing Sung 3008 – the renowned Chinese fountain pen known for its value (roughly $2).

“Wing sung” is translated from the Chinese word “immortality”, a very ambitious name for a fountain-pen maker. I have to admit, my previous experiences with Wing Sung have not been great; most of the pens end up in the trash can immediately because of their excessive feathering or because they are straight up unusable.

But I have to say that 3008 really is worthy of its positive reputation in the fountain pen community.

My first impression of this pen was not good; ink kept coming out of where I held the pen. At first, I suspected that I held the pen wrong and accidentally touched the nib. However, it turned out that the part that secured the nib and the feed (the circled part) was loose; a quick twist solved the issue perfectly.

I don’t want what I experienced to stop anyone else to buy this pen. The overall quality of the pen is very impressive. To the specifics!

1. Writing Experience (4/5):
    • Smooth, no skipping whatsoever.
    • It’s got some feedback, but definitely not to the point where it’s scratchy.
    • Behaves very well even on the cheap, lined paper notebooks
  2. Appearance (5/5):
    • Demonstrater (and cheap!).
    • Just gorgeous.
    • A variety of colors and choices available.
  3. Ergonomic (3/5):
    • Despite how the plastic rings look, the pen is very comfortable to hold and I can’t feel the rings at all.
    • Not too heavy (unposted)
    • Not a lot of pressure is needed, the plastic body makes it light to hold.
    • (Con) I can’t use the pen posted because the cap will actually “hold” the piston knob and make it very easy to wiggle around; the ink looks like it will come out any minute.
  4. Ink Capacity (5/5):
    • A piston-filler, what can I say?
  5. Value (5/5):
    • Cost me a whole $2!
  6. Ink-filling (5/5):
    • Very easy to fill it up (the satisfying full ink)!

My thoughts: Overall, Wing Sung 3008 is a great beginner pen, especially for students or people who writes a lot on a daily basis. The large ink capacity of this pen will satisfy most needs. Although there are some drawbacks, namely the loose knob that makes it basically impossible to write posted, 3008 is a very, very high-value pen because of its smoothness and the outstanding writing experience. Personally, I will start using this pen as one of my workhorse pens just because of its sheer capacity and smoothness. No regrets on this purchase!

I give this pen 4/5 fountain pens.

Writing Sample (written with good ol’ black Parker Quink ink):

Thanks for reading! If you’d like, leave a comment to keep me motivated, thanks :)

Memento Mori,

Jenny